https://www.jurnal.fmisumut.web.id/index.php/jbmi/issue/feed Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia 2022-07-13T23:14:17-04:00 M. Adriansyah, SE, MM suryahendra711@gmail.com Open Journal Systems <p><strong>Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia (</strong><strong>Bisnesia)</strong> merupakan Jurnal Penelitian Manajemen dan Bisnis Forum Manajemen Indonesia Kordinasi Wilayah Sumatera Utara ( FMI-SUMUT ). Jurnal penelitian ini khusus memuat kajian ilmiah yang berkaitan dengan konsep, strategi, serta aplikasi IPTEK dalam <strong>bidang BISNIS DAN MANAJEMEN</strong> : <em>Administrasi Bisnis, Bisnis Jasa, Bisnis Maritim, Bisnis Musik, Ilmu Keluarga dan Konsumen, Kewirausahaan, Perdagangan Internasional, Usaha Koperasi, Manajemen Properti dan Penilaian, Manajemen Keuangan, Manajemen Perbankan, Manajemen Pemasaran, Manajemen Operasional / Produksi, Manajemen Sumberdaya Manusia, Manajemen Inovasi, Manajemen Organisasi, Manajemen / Administrasi Pajak, Manajemen Teknologi, Sistem Informasi Manajemen, Manajemen Logistik, serta bidang ilmu bisnis dan manajemen lainnya yang terkait.</em></p> <p><strong>Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia (Bisnesia) FMI-SUMUT</strong> ini akan terbit <strong>2 ( dua ) kali dalam satu tahun setiap bulan Juni dan Desember</strong>. Jurnal ini diterbitkan dalam rangka untuk mendukung dan menyediakan media publikasi atas hasil kegiatan penelitian anggota Forum Manajemen Indonesia Wilayah Sumatera Utara khususnya, serta para peneliti lain dari akademisi/Dosen dan anggota Forum Manajemen Indonesia di wilayah provinsi lainnya yang tersebar di Indonesia, bahkan dari luar negeri.</p> https://www.jurnal.fmisumut.web.id/index.php/jbmi/article/view/27 Pengaruh Iklim Organisasi, Sikap Kerja Dan Budaya Organisasi Terhadap Produktivitas Karyawan PT Indojaya Agrinusa (Japfa Comfeed) Medan 2022-07-13T05:45:34-04:00 Miyanti Sinambela sinambelamiyanti@gmail.com Anggia Sari Lubis anggiasarilubis@umnaw.ac.id <p><em>This study aims to analyze the impact of organizational climate, work attitudes and organizational culture on employee productivity at PT Indojaya Agrinusa Medan. This study uses a quantitative approach by taking a total sample of 102 respondents, using data collection techniques in the form of a questionnaire to directly measure how much influence it has, with primary data and seeking information on human resources for organizational climate, work attitudes and organizational culture. In this study, the data collection technique used simple random sampling by taking samples from a population using random sampling, without regard to hierarchy (level). Because all members of the population are considered equal (homogeneous), the researchers used the Slovin formula with an error rate of (e) 5%. As a tool to determine the number of samples, 93 male respondents, 9 female respondents. From multiple linear regression analysis, the equation Y = 1.278 + 0.355X1 + 0.168X2 = 0.532 X3. In the partial test results (t test) for the iklim organisasi variable (X1), the t-count value is 4.666 &gt; t-table 1.984 and the significant value is 0.000 &lt;0.05 in the Simultaneous Significant Test Results (F-test) shows the calculated F value 97.629 &gt; F table 3.09. The results of the coefficient of determination test (R2) obtained an R Square value of 0.749, meaning that the employee productivity variable could be explained by 74.9% by the organization climate, work attitude and organization culture variables, while the remaining 25.1% was explained by other variables not included in this study. So this research can be concluded that organizational climate (X1) work attitude (X2) and organizational culture (X3) affect employee productivity (Y). This study uses the SPSS version 25 statistical application.</em></p> 2022-08-10T00:00:00-04:00 Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia https://www.jurnal.fmisumut.web.id/index.php/jbmi/article/view/30 Determinan Komunikasi Terhadap Kinerja Karyawan Pada PT Bank Perkreditan Rakyat Logo Karo Asri Brastagi 2022-07-13T23:08:53-04:00 Jupianus Sitepu Jupianus.karona@gmail.com Rahel Sukatendel rahelsukatendel@gmail.com <ol> <li><em> BPR Karo Asri Berastagi is a bank financial institution that accepts deposits only in the form of time deposits, savings and other equivalent forms and distributes BPR business funds. One of the missions of BPR is to realize sustainable growth and profit by always trying to ensure that it provides service and convenience for customers so that they can get more value than just customer satisfaction that they get beyond the scope of the BPR. The objectives of this research are: To determine the effect of communication on employee performance at PT. BPR Logo Karo Asri Berastagi In this research, the sampling technique used is non-probability sampling with the technique taken is saturated sampling. According to Sugiyono (2015:118) Based on simple regression analysis testing, the regression equation can be obtained as follows: Y = 18,513+ 0.476 X + e. This means that the communication variable has a positive and significant effect on employee performance at PT. Karo Asri Berastagi's logo. In testing the hypothesis with the t test, it shows that the independent variable communication has a positive and significant influence on the performance of employees at PT. Karo Asri Berastagi's logo. With the results showing tcount &gt; t table (3350 &gt; 1.695) while the significance value is 0.002 &lt; 0.05, it means that communication has a significant effect on employee performance at PT. BPR Logo Karo Asri Berastagi. Based on the test of the coefficient of determination (R2) it is known that the value of R Square = 0.516 means that 51.6% of the independent variables are able to provide an explanation for the dependent variable and 73.4% can be explained by other variables not explained in this study.</em></li> </ol> 2022-07-13T00:00:00-04:00 Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia https://www.jurnal.fmisumut.web.id/index.php/jbmi/article/view/25 Pengaruh Service Quality, Kreativitas Dan Harga Terhadap Loyalitas Pelanggan Birthday Decoration Chasperdecor.Id Tanjung Morawa 2022-07-13T05:20:49-04:00 Gigih Genta Abdillah Digjayanti gigihgentaa13@gmail.com Sari Wulandari sariwulandari@umnaw.ac.id <p><em>This study aims to determine and analyze the effect of service quality, creativity and price on customer loyalty Birthday Decoration Chasperdecor.Id Tanjung Morawa. The sampling technique used random sampling totaling 100 respondents. The data collection method used a questionnaire/questionnaire. The results of multiple linear regression analysis obtained the equation <strong>Y = 0.701 + 0.184X1 + 0.770X2 + 0.060X3</strong>. In the partial test (t test) the service quality variable has a positive and significant effect on customer loyalty with a value of t count &gt; t table (2.251 &gt; 1.984) and a significant value of 0.027 &lt; 0.05, the creativity variable has a positive and significant effect on customer loyalty with a t value count &gt; t table (9,496 &gt; 1,984) and a significant value of 0.000 &lt; 0.05 and the price variable has a positive and significant effect on customer loyalty with a t count &gt; t table (2.254 &gt; 1.984) and a significant value of 0.026 &lt; 0.05. Simulative significant test results (F test) service quality, creativity and price variables have a positive and significant effect on customer loyalty with a calculated F value &gt; F table (201.061 &gt; 3.09) and a significant value of 0.000 &lt; 0.05. The results of the coefficient of determination test (R2) obtained an R Square value of 0.863, meaning that the customer loyalty variable can be explained by 86.3% by service quality, creativity and price variables, while the remaining 13.7% is explained by other variables not included in this study</em></p> 2022-07-13T00:00:00-04:00 Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia https://www.jurnal.fmisumut.web.id/index.php/jbmi/article/view/28 PENGARUH KOMITMEN ORGANISATIONAL DAN SERVICE EXCELLENT TERHADAP PRODUKTIVITAS PEGAWAI BANK SYARIAH INDONESIA KCP MEDAN KAMPUNG BARU 2022-07-13T22:51:13-04:00 Halimah Nasution halimahnasution12345@gmail.com Mhd. Dani Habra danihabra224@gmail.com <p>This study aims to analyze "The Effect of Organizational Commitment and Excellent Service on Productivity of Sharia Bank Employees at KCP Medan Kampung Baru". All populations sampled in this study amounted to 42 respondents through data collection and quantitative analysis (questionnaires) and testing using multiple linear regression analysis with the help of Partial Least Square (PLS) applications. The results showed that organizational commitment and service excellent variables had a significant effect on employee productivity at Bank Syariah Indonesia KCP Medan Kampung Baru.</p> 2022-07-13T00:00:00-04:00 Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia https://www.jurnal.fmisumut.web.id/index.php/jbmi/article/view/26 ANALISIS KEPEMIMPINAN, KOMPENSASI DAN LINGKUNGAN KERJA TERHADAP EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT PADA PT MANUFACTURING IXI MEDAN 2022-07-13T05:30:12-04:00 EMI WAKHYUNI emiwakhyuni@dosen.pancabudi.ac.id NASHRUDIN SETIAWAN nashrudinsetiawan@dosen.pancabudi.ac.id NURAFRINA SIREGAR nurafrinasiregar@dosen.pancabudi.ac.id <p><em>This study aims to analyze, test and determine the effect of the variables of leadership, compensation and work environment simultaneously and partially on employee engagement at Manufacturing in Medan. This study uses quantitative methods with a sample of 55 employees. The research instrument used was a questionnaire, observation and documentation. Data analysis using Multiple Linear Regression, then the following results are obtained: Based on the results of the ANOVA test where Leadership, Compensation, and Work Environment simultaneously have a positive and significant effect on Employee Engagement seen from the Fcount 36.577 &gt; Ftable 2.78 and significant 0.000 &lt; 0 0.05, Leadership partially has a positive and significant effect on Employee Engagement, seen from the tcount 2.642 &gt; ttable 2.0075 and significant 0.011 &lt;0.05. 2. Compensation has a positive and significant effect on Employee Engagement seen from the tcount 2.727 &gt; ttable 2.0075 and significant 0.009 &lt;0.05. Work Environment has a positive and significant effect on Employee Engagement seen from the tcount 3.136 &gt; ttable 2.0075 and significant 0.003 &lt; 0.05.</em></p> 2022-07-13T00:00:00-04:00 Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia https://www.jurnal.fmisumut.web.id/index.php/jbmi/article/view/29 Pengaruh Kompetensi dan Penilaian Prestasi Kerja Karyawan Terhadap Promosi Jabatan Pada PT. BPR Karo Asri Berastagi 2022-07-13T22:59:50-04:00 Maria Kristina Situmorang maryakristina89@gmail.com <p><em>The purpose of this study was to determine and analyze the influence of competency and work performance appraisals on job promotion at PT BPR Karo Asri Berastagi. This research is a type of causal associative research which aims to analyze the relationship between one variable and another or how a variable affects other variables. The population in this study were all employees. The sampling method used the census method with a sample size of 30 people. Primary data were collected through distributing questionnaires, observation and</em></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><em>interviews, secondary data were collected from previous research reports, journals, and related papers. The analysis tests used include descriptive analysis, validation and reliability tests, classical assumption tests, multiple linear regression analysis, hypothesis testing (t test and f test) and the coefficient of determination test. Data processing was carried out in SPSS version 25. Which means that simultaneously the competency variable and work performance appraisal have an effect on job promotion. Based on the results of research conducted, it can be concluded that the competence and work performance appraisal of employees contributed 54% to promotion while the remaining 46% was influenced by other variables.</em></p> 2022-07-13T00:00:00-04:00 Copyright (c) 2022 Jurnal Bisnis Manajemen Indonesia